We have had 6 successful petitions asking for reform of firework legislation (over 100,000 signatures):
- Petition No 109702 “Restrict the use of fireworks to reduce stress and fear in animals and pets” Closed 02/04/16 104,038 signatures https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CDP-2016-0109/CDP-2016-0109.pdf
- Petition No 168663 “Ban the sale of fireworks to the public and only approve organised displays.” Closed 10/04/17 168,160 signatures
- Petition No 201947 “Change the laws governing the use of fireworks to include a ban on public use” Closed 06/04/18 113,284 signatures https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CDP-2018-0018/CDP-2018-0018.pdf
- Petition No 231147 “Ban the sale of fireworks to the public. Displays for licenced venues only.” Closed 30/04/19 307,897 signatures https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CDP-2018-0259/CDP-2018-0259.pdf
- Petition No 276425 “Ban fireworks for general sale to the public.” Closed 06/11/19 (due to General Election) 305,579 signatures https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CDP-2020-0119/CDP-2020-0119.pdf
- Petition No 319891 “Limit the Sale and Use of Fireworks to Organisers of Licensed Displays Only” Closed 21/01/21 301,610 signatures https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cdp-2021-0183/
It is clear that the strength of public feeling is increasing, illustrated by the fact that petitions requesting reform to firework legislation are increasing year on year.
- During the 2010 – 2015 government there were 142* petitions submitted regarding fireworks (5 year period, average 28 petitions per year)
- During the 2015 – 2017 government there were 96* petitions submitted regarding fireworks (2 year period, average 48 petitions per year)
- During the 2017 – 2019 government there were 148 petitions submitted requesting reform to firework legislation (18 month period, average 98 petitions per year)
- Current government 29/01/20 – up to 29/01/21 there were 200 petitions submitted requesting reform to firework legislation (1 year period, 200 petitions per year)
*Total number recorded on the government website but it isn’t possible to ascertain the exact nature of the petitions
As a comparison of public feeling towards fireworks, these two petitions were running concurrently 2018/2019
Ban the sale of fireworks to the public. Displays for licenced venues only.
NOT to ban the sale of fireworks to the public